Growing up, I always remember a box of epsom salt in our bathroom cabinet. When my parents came to live with us, along came their trusty epsom salt. I just thought this was an “old people” remedy and didn’t give it much thought. After Mother died and I was going through her belongings, I put her boxes of epsom salt in the garage never giving them another thought. I thought since Mr. Bee is 10 years older than me, he could find the salts helpful.
After a long week of work recently, I read that epsom salt — which is Magnesium Sulfate — was a great remedy for tired, achy feet. Knowing I had a stock of it, I made myself a foot bath with a nice tub of hot water, essential oil and the salts. I soaked my feet while I read the back of the salts box. I have to say, my feet felt so much better afterward and I couldn’t believe all the health benefits and uses for the salts. I found a great article on 21 Uses for Epsom Salts from Wellness Mama (always consult with your health care provider first when trying something new).
- Simple First Aid — takes the sting out of insect bites and draws out splinters
- Soak away tiredness and soreness
- Soaking aid for minor sprains and bruises
- Soothe away stress (add essential oils like lavendar to your bath water)
- Deep clean skin and pores
- Provides soothing relief from arthritic pain
- Warm and comfort muscle aches
- Use it to water your house plants and vegetables
- You can make a homemade sea salt spray for your hair
- Use it to get rid of slugs (I remember doing this as a kid)
- As a laxative for the short-term relief of constipation
- Headache relief (my doctor has me trying it for migraine relief and it has helped so far)
- Sunburn relief
- Great for kid’s bath time to help them get a good night sleep
Here’s why Magnesium is so good for our body…
Read here for a more detailed explanation as to why Magnesium is important in the healthy function of our bodies. Something as simple as a $3 box of this natural mineral has so many health benefits. I guess Mother did know best.
I tried your Epsom Salt suggestion – my Epson Salts came with a Lavender scent. It was a very simple way to take a small amount of time out of a busy day to just relax. I just filled up the tub a couple inches, poured in the salts and stuck my feet in. It felt so good and left the bathroom with a wonderful scent. I’m going to try and make it a habit. Thanks for the suggestion!
So glad you tried it. Mother would be pleased!