To take a departure from the usual chocolate recipes we make in the house, I found this recipe for Cream Cheese Lemonade Pie from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. I wanted to see if it was close the Lemonade Pie my mother used to make.
Mother’s recipe called for sweet condensed milk — lovingly referred to as “Eagle Brand.” This has evaporated milk. The pie is creamy and very lemony. A nice, refreshing dessert for the summer. I’ve pinned it to my Pinterest pie board or follow along below.
- 1 5 oz can Evaporated milk
- 1 3.4oz box of instant lemon pudding mix, one small box
- 2 8oz packages of cream cheese
- ¾ cup frozen lemonade concentrate
- 2⅔ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½* cup butter, melted (*some have had problems with the amount of butter, so I have changed the ingredients from ⅔ cup to ½ cup)
- Or you can use 1 graham cracker crust, 9 inch
- In a medium mixing bowl, combined all ingredients and whisk together until well combined.
- Press graham cracker crumbs into deep dish pie dish and make sure to go up the sides.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, combined milk and pudding mix.
- Beat on low speed for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick).
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually beat in lemonade concentrate.
- Gradually beat in pudding mixture.
- Pour mixture into cooled graham cracker crust, or into a pre-made graham cracker pie crust.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours
I topped it with whipped cream and garnished with lemon zest and blueberries.
If you have a recipe for Pink Lemonade Pie, please share it with me. It would have probably been the recipe of the day back in the 60s-70s. I remember it had a can of pink lemonade concentrate and Eagle Brand. I don’t think she put whipped cream into it, because it was very dense and not “whipped.” Mother used to make it all the time in the summer, especially when it was my brother’s birthday. It was his favorite!
My mom used to make the Eagle Brand-lemonade pie, too! I always thought it tasted better when made with pink lemonade. She or I may have a copy of the recipe. I’ll take a look!
Lisa, I would love it if you could find the recipe! Thank you!
I have the Pink Lemonade Pie recipe!
1 lg Cool Whip
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 small (half the regular size) pink lemonade concentrate
Mix the Eagle Brand and pink lemonade concentrate together. Fold in the Cool Whip.
Pour filling into pre-baked pie shell of your choice. Chill.
Graham cracker crust is good. We liked it in homemade regular pie crust – the salty crust contrasts nicely with the sweet/tart creamy pie filling.
I also have this one:
1 can Eagle Brand
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 egg yolks
1 baked pie shell
Mix the Eagle Brand, lemon juice and egg yolks. Pour into pie crust and chill.
Yes, this recipe has raw egg yolks. We made it many times and no one ever got sick. We were tough like that. 😉
If you like, you can make meringue to top the pie. Whipped cream or whipped topping are good, too.
Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Mix 1/4 teaspoon into 1/4 cup of granulated sugar; gradually add to the egg whites. Top the pie with the meringue and bake in 350 degree oven approx. 5 minutes, until the peaks slightly browned.
My mom’s recipes were all pretty simple and she didn’t always write out all the instructions. I tried to fill in her gaps.
Renee (from TCS)
Renee! Thank you so much. I think the bottom one might be what she made. But, I will look forward to trying both and report back my results. I really appreciate you reading and sharing these with me.
Of course, Melissa – I can’t wait to see/hear how they turn out for you.