It feels like it’s 120 degrees in Texas during the months of July and August. A cold salad for dinner is a great option to keep you and your house cool. But sometimes I get tired of the usual “lettuce and tomato” cast of characters. Sunday after a day by the pool we enjoyed this refreshing seafood salad. It was perfectly filling.
I have had Gina Homolka’s SkinnyTaste recipe for Avocado and Lump Crab salad pinned on my Pinterest salad board for a while. It is very easy to make and keeps in the refrigerator for next-day leftovers.
AVOCADO AND LUMP CRAB SALAD
- 1 medium Hass avocado (about 5 oz avocado)
- 4 oz lump crab meat
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 grape tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 leaves butter lettuce (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine onion, lime juice, cilantro, tomato, olive oil, 1/8 tsp salt and fresh pepper, to taste.
- Add crab meat and gently toss.
- Cut the avocado open, remove pit and peel the skin or spoon the avocado out.
- Season with remaining 1/8 tsp salt and fill the avocado halves equally with crab salad.
- This makes 2 servings, place on two plates with lettuce if you wish and serve.
I chose to serve it along side some steamed shrimp, but you could nestle it on top of lettuce like she suggests. Gina always lists the Smart Points and calories in her recipes, along with other nutritional information. This serving is 5 SP, 178 calories and 9 carbs.
I have both of Gina’s cookbooks — the SkinnyTaste Cookbook and the Fast and Slow book. Both have easy, doable recipes that are light on calories, but big on flavor.