One of my favorite things, as I approach the weekend, is knowing I am going to have free time to relax and make my own schedule. Sunday, in particular, is a day I want to make sure is free of commitment so I can mentally prepare for the work week ahead. When I came across this post for “Eleven things to do on a Sunday to prepare for a better week” I knew I wanted to share it with you in my mission to help make Monday the best day of the week — not your least favorite.
- Create a to-do list writing down everything you need to get done for the week.
- Once you know what you need to do prioritize your to-do list so you accomplish what’s most important first. The rest is easy which will give you confidence to complete the remainder of the list.
- Go grocery shopping for the week. Or, in my case, I use Shipt grocery delivery. I make my list at Target (depending on your area you have several grocers to choose from), send it to Shipt and they do the shopping, delivery and drop off on my kitchen counter or porch. Here’s a coupon code to use for $50 off your annual delivery fee (with unlimited deliveries as long as they are $35). I haven’t been grocery shopping in over two months and it’s been a huge time saver. You can also use their service to have groceries delivered to a friend or college student.
- Spend time decluttering. I go through unopened mail, tidy up the house, take out the trash, stack up books and magazines from my weekend reading.
- Do meal prep. This is when I place my Shipt delivery order for the week. I have my groceries delivered on Monday after I get home from work and I have everything I need for meals for the week.
- Do laundry. No one wants to run out of underwear mid-week and the weekend is a perfect time to look through your closet to determine what you will be wearing based on what you have put on your to-do list. Have a funeral to attend on Tuesday, make sure your dress is clean and pressed. This is also when I put on a new set of clean sheets for the week ahead.
- Clean out your email inbox. I delete, delete and delete all those emails I don’t need or have already read. Also sort into folders to save important emails for later reference.
- Get outside. Right now it is cool in my area and I have really been enjoying sitting on the patio, sipping coffee and reading books. Hazel loves to go for walks with me on the weekends because we aren’t rushed to get home.
- Take a look at your budget. Do your mobile banking, check balances and make deposits for the week.
- Get enough sleep. Weekends are perfect for napping — my favorite hobby. It’s not indulgent to take naps. There’s a whole lot of science out there to support the important of getting rest. I think of a nap equal to how we re-charge our devices: It’s necessary to operate.
- Enjoy the time off. Monday will be here before you know it.
What’s your favorite way to spend a weekend? Have a great week ahead!