Wow. That’s a hard topic — things you like about yourself. First, to find five things, then to be bold enough to say them out loud without seeming bragadocious (it’s a real word but it sounds less brag-gy). But, I think every once in while we need to take the opportunity to identify things we like about ourselves and embrace the positive, rather than the negative. So, here goes:
- I’m funny. I have a good sense of humor. I get that from my parents. I like to make people laugh. I have been entertaining the world since I was old enough to realize I could get a response –isn’t that at about 6 weeks old?
- I love to talk to people. I like to find out what makes them tick. I always leave a store or restaurant with a new friend (I get this from Daddy). My profession requires me to be a good conversationalist. As a result, it’s also exhausting which means sometimes I need alone time to recharge, kind of like you recharge your phone.
- I am a good listener. I can really empathize with how people feel. It’s not something I have always been good at. In fact, I think before I suffered from the major loss of losing a child, I didn’t take the time to listen to what people are really saying. Now, I understand that feeling of emptiness and hurt. Sometimes it makes my heart ache.
- I’m creative. I’m really good at conceptualizing how something should look and feel. I love to think of and try ways to put a new “spin” on ideas. This has proved useful in both my personal and professional life.
- I’m passionate. About a lot of things that are important to me — from how God has played such an important role in my life, to my pets and love of animals, to surrounding myself with things that are beautiful and make me feel happy, to searching for the best place for bakery cake, to organizing my pencil drawer, to being the best wife, mother, sister, aunt, and friend I can possibly be.
I am not perfect and I have more faults I could probably list than successes. But, I like myself and the person I hope to grow into for the next 40+ years.
“Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
P.S. I asked Miss Bee what are the five things she liked about me. In her words: 1. I’m funny 2. I cook good 3. I like to go shopping 4. I’m a good listener and 5. I am smart. Wow. I guess she is paying attention after all.