It’s Holley’s turn to take the keyboard over today to share tips for shopping on a budget. Here’s Holley’s secrets to shopping on a budget…
People’s Style Watch magazine has a section called “Steal Her Style.” They feature a celebrity wearing an expensive outfit and then show a less expensive way to copy it. Since imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, why not copy these celeb-looks at real-people prices? Though I never exactly copy a look, I do get inspiration from Pinterest and fashion magazines. But the main thing you need to know about me is that I always shop on a budget.
Today, a lot of women shop and order online from ASOS, Stitch Fix, directly from stores and other fashion websites. For some people, that saves time but to be honest, I still like to go into stores and try on clothes. The stores I like to shop in that offer great prices for trendy and classic pieces are H&M, Forever 21, Zara, Target, Marshall’s and TJ Maxx, and the junior departments at Dillard’s and Nordstrom. And YES, those stores really do have clothes and accessories for women “my age.” Why these stores? Because most of them are a 15 minute drive or less from my house. And after I try on the clothes and know what fits and looks good on me, I can go online and see if there are other colors that are not available in the store. When I’m visiting my son in New York, I always make a few visits to Zara.
All that being said, here’s how my brain works when I’m shopping:
- I look for basics like slim fit pants at H&M. They come in different colors and the main thing is they fit me well and the waist doesn’t stretch out ($19.99). Plus, I’m tall and the length works for me.
- The next basic item I look for are blouses and I tend to favor flowy blouses. One of the reasons is they pair well with jeans, skinny pants, and skirts and make me look smaller on bottom.
- My next mission is to look at the jackets and coats in these stores. Since jackets and coats are a little more expensive, I have to really think about what I will wear them with. Remember one of “Holley Rules” — how many ways can I wear this? So, if the jacket will look great with a pair of jeans and with a skirt I wear to church, or if it will jazz up a pair of slacks for a social event, then I go for it!
- Another tip is to always look at the sale rack first. The good news is that shopping in less expensive stores sometimes means you don’t have to worry about sales. Though, I always check there first!
- And last, but not least, I go to the accessories. All of the stores I listed have trendy and classic jewelry, scarves, belts, and handbags. Their price points are in my budget, too.
I have lost count of the number of times friends have said to me, “you look fabulous, but if I wore that, I would look stupid.” (Mrs. Twist here – yes, I do think this!). NOT TRUE…once you learn how to shop, know your fit, and wear your clothes with confidence, you will look stylish and feel amazing! I have also lost count of the number of times store clerks at Neiman Marcus have said to me, ” Your outfit is amazing! Did you purchase it here?” And for me, that just says it all…to look stylish, not break the bank, and mainly feel good about yourself is what style is all about!
Okay, back to me. Holley pinned a lot of great stuff on our Pinterest Holley Williams Style board this week. Many pieces are from one of my favorite stores — Target. Raise your hand if you had a day to do anything you want completely by yourself you’d wander the aisles of Target with a latte? I have really been crushing on their Who What Wear Collection — effortless and chic streetwear for all. Here are a few of my faves…
Holley would probably suggest wearing this with a front tucked tshirt and a bomber jacket. I probably would wear it with a tucked in blouse and cardigan with an animal print belt to accentuate the waist and pointy toe pumps in a fun color like burgandy or teal.
This is the Faux Leather Birdcage Skirt and comes in both women and plus sizes. Priced at only $32.99.
The Zip Pouch comes in this color and black and cream. I love the suede tassel detail. It’s 9×12 so you could actually get a lot in here. Right now it’s on clearance for $13.98. Think Christmas and have your initials monogrammed on the center panel. Chic.
I am not sure I could wear this, but I would like to try it on. I’m short, but something like this with skinny jeans and pointy toe pumps might make me look 6 feet on fleek!
The mock neck tunic is only $24.99. During cold weather, you could pair this with a cute blouse.
I bought a pair of peep toe booties from Target last fall and they have worn well. A wardrobe staple, you can wear them with jeans, ankle pants and skirts.
This one is from ZooShoo and is priced at only $29.
So that’s a wrap for this week’s installment of What Would Holley Wear. Be sure to visit our Pinterest page to check even more ideas for fashionable steals!
Holley Williams is a personal stylist specializing in closet inventory, seasonal shopping, closet organization and wardrobe consultation. Contact Holley at holleywilliams1[email protected]